Friday, November 5, 2010

Thankfuls...... Sewing

So for the past two years my aunt has posted every day in November something that she is thankful for. I think that is a really cute idea, and a good way to boost the spirit of Thanksgiving in my life, so I am going to attempt that. I know I am already a couple days behind, but I feel its early enough to start that tradition now! =>

Today I am extremely thankful for my ability to sew. Just in the last couple months I have discovered a real talent in that area. I am not trying to be prideful, just merely pointing out I have been blessed with that gift. And I am VERY thankful for it today. And for a couple of reasons.

Jared's businesses are HIGHLY seasonal. So in their off season things get even tighter. And he is venturing into new business territories, even more tight. So, needless to say, there is no clothes shopping budget at the moment. I know, I know, not a big deal to some people, but to me it is a HUGE, Gigantic deal! When I have a bad day, shopping and buying something that I feel good in is one surefire way to help my mood improve. I dont need a whole new wardrobe, just a piece that I feel confident in. But alas, thats not in the budget now. But lo and behold a REALLY bad day came up. No possible way to invest in retail therapy. I NEEDED something that I felt cute and pretty in. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

So I pulled out this old cardigan I had since I was 12. It was one of those pieces I could never get rid of because its a good emergency piece, but I never really liked it enough to wear it and feel pretty.
Cardigan:Beginning
I had never attempted to alter an article of clothing before, especially for me. I have been involved with the clothing making process both in my working at Beehive Clothing and helping my Gram sew some dresses and costumes. But I have never ventured out to do it on my own. I scoured the blog world and found a cute cardigan revamp and decided I would give it a try. If it didnt work out, my mood could not get any worse and a bad day would still be bad. If it did work out I would have an article of clothing I loved, and all for FREE! and my day would get better. I couldnt see any downside. haha



My new favorite cardigan!

Cardigan:After

 Good thing it worked out! I now have a new favorite cardigan with no cost at all! I had the cardigan, I had the material. All I had to do is put it together! It definitely brightened my day!! VERY thankful for that!

Now on to last night. Last night was an event honoring the top 25 student run businesses in the state of Utah. Jared and his business partner made it in last year, and they were #16.They also made it in this year. Apparently last year they had a big awards banquet thing too, but Jared and I were not in town and did not go. I didn't even know about it. This year Jared knew about the banquet, but didnt feel the need to tell me about the "black tie optional" event until 3 days before, on Monday. So on Tuesday I went up to Layton to go shopping with my aunt for something to wear. But with a VERY limited budget (ok a budget of nothing, so there really was no point in going) and only two days until the banquet I was a little stressed. I did not find anything I loved while shopping, but did see some potential skirts, but at $80-$150 a skirt it was definitely no dice. I thought it was a failure but a ray of hope shines thru! While playing at my aunts house, after no luck shopping, we discovered she had a floor length black day dress that she never wore, and didnt really plan on wearing. So I snatched it up and hoped that my idea would work out.

I had this high waisted pencil skirt from a while back. I didnt like wearing it too much because it was a little short on me (but not short enough to show the G's) so I would be guilty of wearing it occasionally. If you click on THIS LINK you can see a picture of me wearing it. They are not really great pics, but you can get the idea of the before, since I forgot to take one.

But anyways, So I get home from my aunts with a dress in hand, and an idea. On Wednesday I start cutting. I have never used a pattern, and actually get very confused by them, so I just winged it. I Googled pictures of high waisted skirts and found a few I thought were cute and just copied the picture essentially. And this is what turned out. Again, not really great pictures but it gives you the general idea. Maybe I will take better pictures to show the details of the skirt one day....maybe.
Jared and I after the Utah Top 25

The skirt has two ruffles, a top shorter fuller one and a longer bottom one, set off by a satin ribbon. I have to say, this is one of my new favorite skirts! I always wanted a mermaid-style dress, who knew I would like the skirt just as much? haha And it does not look "homemade", and actually looks like I could have bought it at the store! (except if you flip it inside out and look at my non technical technique haha) And I felt like I fit in at the awards, I wasnt on either end of the dressing extreme, right in the middle. Nice. And, all for FREE!!! The best!

So, what a really LONG post is saying: I am very thankful for my ability to sew, and to sew well. Just in the last two week it has proven to be very helpful and money saving!, as well as giving new life to pieces in my wardrobe. I am in no way shape or form the type that loves to make their clothing. In everything I craft/make/do, if I could buy it, and for the price I want I sooooooo would. It just so happens, at the moment making things myself is what I have to do in order to get new things. But I am SOOOOO thankful  I have the ability to! Especially on these two occasions!

I am thankful for my sewing ability!

3 comments:

Dick and Judy said...

Hey Alyssa, this is Gram and I am soooo impressed with you. You did an awesome job on the darling cartigan and super adorable skirt. I love it that you are trying and succeeding with these neat crafty things. I love you tons.

Amy Jo Tucker said...

Lyssa!! I love love that sweater!! That is so amazing, the transformation! Way to go!! And the skirt is so cute too! What a great talent! Love them!

Ben and Julie Schacht said...

Alyssa, Your dress turned out adorable! Your basically amazing at sewing! I love everything you make!