Monday, January 4, 2010

Starting Off the New Year.... Right...?

This year has been an eventful one. Yes, I know it has only been four days long, but those four days have been full of interesting events.

It started off on January 2nd when Kalyn had her little "event". She started feeling sick on the first, with just the thing going around (sore throat and cough). Then on the morning of the second she threw up, and shortly after she fainted. A whole full on faint while standing up and brushing her teeth. She fell in the bathroom and hit her head on the floor and was unconscious (for about 45 seconds) Jared was walking down the hall (we were leaving that moment) and saw the whole thing and was able to catch her hands as she was falling. So 911 was called, while we waited Dad and Jared gave her a blessing, they came, started doing their little tests on Kalyn, and she could not move or feel her arms and hands. They took her to the hospital in an ambulance and did a CAT scan and all other sorts of tests. By the time the doctors were done with their tests Kalyn had regained the use and feeling in her arms and hands, and they sent her home. What a great manifestation of the power of the priesthood!!

That was hospital encounter number one.

Hospital encounter number two came somewhat voluntarily (I was not willing, Jared was). It is for Jared's jaw surgery. This is the surgery all doctors had been telling Jared he needed to have since he was like 5 years old. To shortly and briefly sum up the purpose of the surgery: one side of Jared's lower jaw grew longer than the other, so they had to cut both sides of his lower jaw and move it back, then cut both sides of his top jaw and move it forward. This procedure could not be done until now because the doctors had to be sure Jared had stopped growing and get his mouth properly set up for it.
This surgery took place today. That is where I currently am, in the hospital. Jared's mom came down on Sunday and is going to stay for the week to help look after Jared. All three of us got to the hospital at 6:00am and started all the pre-surgery stuff. They began Jared's surgery at 8:30am. I had to leave then and go to work but Karen was able to stay at the hospital and be here when Jared got out. His surgery finished around 1:00pm (yes a 4 1/2 hour surgery) I came back to the hospital after work (around 3:30pm) and he was just coming out of the anesthesia.

The surgery went well. Jared's jaw did not crack so they did not have to wire his mouth shut, which is a huge relief. And Jared did not die on the table (what I was so scared for) and that is an even bigger relief! Now it is just the long recovery process. He is not going to be able to chew anything for at least six weeks, which means all liquid meals. The doctor said that the surgery will significantly change his appearance (no joke, moving his whole bottom half of his face around), but in addition to that his face should be swollen to almost the point of nonrecognition for the first two weeks. After that the doctor said he will still be swollen and look like a Who from the Grinch. And to fully get to normal should take at least three months, most likely more.

I don't know how I feel about that. I love Jared so much, and I hate seeing him uncomfortable or in pain. And believe you me, he is in a lot of pain right now, and I can't do anything about it. It is driving me crazy!! I just want to make him all better! But I can't. All I can do is sit and watch, and aid in any minute way I can. But I also know that this surgery needed to be done, and we are greatly blessed to have the opportunity and ability to have it done now. This will be a good lesson of patience, hopefully I can learn to have some so I only have to go thru it once haha. And I know both Jared and I will learn to rely on our Father in Heaven even more, for He is the only one who can truly do anything to help.
I am grateful for the opportunity and ability Jared had to get this surgery done. And I am glad he will have a better and easier time because of it. I am especially thankful that the surgery went well and that Jared is alive. And I am so thankful and indebted to my Father in Heaven for all He has done for me and my family. And even though this year started out with two dramatic hospital trips I hope its not an indication that this is how the whole year will go. I am shooting for just one more visit to a hospital (in May to get my baby out of me) and then not to be back for a looooong time. => So here is to a Happy New year, and to its very interesting start! =>

2 comments:

Bethie Ann said...

Oh man! Give Jared my love. Does he need a smoothie or something? I don't mind blending his food and feeding it to him with a syrynge.... LOL.... ok maybe that's a little much. But I hope he gets feeling better soon!

Haylie said...

Let us know if we can do anything for either of you. You are both in our prayers!