Friday, December 25, 2009

We Are Having....

On Wednesday I worked until noon, then Jared and I went to the doctors to find out the gender of our baby! I can say that ultrasound is one of the coolest things I have ever seen! Our baby is 100% healthy and as it should be! And it gave a clear shot of its "parts" so there was a definate surity (ok as much comes with an ultra sound, you can never be sure sure until the baby comes out =>) We even got a copy of the whole ultrasound on a dvd as well as the pictures they printed out (ill scan those in when we get back home) And the result it:

We are having a baby Girl!

After we found out that wonderful news we headed straight down to California to be with my side of the family for Christmas! And I kept the gender a secret the whole way! I had planned how to tell my family the gender of our baby for over a month now, and there was no way I was going to spoil it haha. I had bought almost 280 jelly beans (140 in green and 140 in red) and the game was: Each color stood for a gender (green=girl, red=boy) and whichever color has more, thats what the gender of our baby is. Jared would eat one jelly bean of the color its not (so he ate one red because our baby was not a boy, therefore green would have more jelly beans, telling the family it was a girl)
We got to my parents house around 10:30pm and the little boys were already asleep, so we decided to wait until morning to let the family find out. It was good, and everyone agreed to it, but it did make Mom and Kalyn want to know even more. They were just dying to know. haha And at that time I had not decided which color was going to represent which gender, so I appreciated the extra time. In the morning I set up this white board and put the jar by it so they knew which gender the colors represented.
279 jelly beans for the counting. We waited until everyone was awake and home and then we let them have at the counting!
My dad was video taping the whole event and Jared and I were standing back and watching the madness. And let me tell you, it was quite the funny thing to watch. Everyone was so anxious and excited and trying to move so fast, it made for some good amusement.
The tactic they came up with was to put the beans in piles of 10. But they were so excited some piles had 11 some 8 or even 12. And occasionally piles would be scattered into big ones.... so they had to recount a couple times. =>

When they finally felt confident enough in their number Mom and Kalyn just about couldn't contain themselves, and when we told them that they were right, that there was more green and that it was a GIRL Mom and Kalyn let out the biggest screams and jumped all around. I am so glad my Dad recorded it, because that is definately something you want to keep for all posterity to see. haha
Jared and I are very thrilled to be having a girl, but truth be told we would have been fine with any gender as long as it is healthy! And according to doctors our little girl is very healthy and even a week bigger than the average baby her age (although they changed my due date from May 7 to May 12, so pushing it back almost a week.....) That makes me a little more nervous for delivery, but how can Jared and I NOT have a bigger than average baby? haha And as for the due date, I still say the baby will come around the 7th, so we will see who is right me or the doctors haha. But the baby will come when she is good and ready => We are excited to be having a little girl and evevn more excited that she is healthy!
As for names, the middle name will be Arlene. Both Jared and I have Grandmas named Arlene (and they are both ones that passed away prematurely) so we feel like that should be the middle name. As for the first name, we haven't chosen yet, and our list changes from week to week. The list this week is: Makayla, Lia, Callie, Keira, and Miley (ok Jared doesn't liek Miley but thats my favorite, so I jeep it in there anyways) =>

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Lyss! What a fun way to tell the fam! Wish I was there. . . But I knew you were having a girl. He-he. I think that's sweet her middle name will be Arlene--made me cry. Love ya lots!

Jacie Saltzman said...

yes!!! a girl! i knew it! im so excited for you. sheesh may is so soon, you will have her here in no time. and my vote is no on miley. but i do like the others!

ohhh congrats!

Josh and Katie said...

oh my goodness yay that is so exciting congratulations josh and i were going to name our baby girl McKayla if we had one too haha so if you choose that then we are gonna have baby girls with the same name haha :) love you girl we need to hang out